Home WORLD NEWS South Korea court rejects US extradition request for child porn network operator

South Korea court rejects US extradition request for child porn network operator


Seoul High Court refused the extradition request as, it said, sending him to the United States could hamper South Korean investigations.

A South Korean court on Monday refused an extradition request by U.S. law enforcement authorities for a man convicted of running a South Korea-based dark web child pornography site that sold videos for digital cash around the world.

The man, Son Jong-woo, the site’s operator, completed an 18-month sentence for violating South Korean child protection and information laws in April but has remained in custody after he was also indicted on U.S. federal charges in Washington.

The Seoul High Court said in its ruling that it had refused the extradition request because sending him to the United States could hamper South Korean investigations into sexually exploitive content, Yonhap news agency reported.




The court said the ruling should not be interpreted as exonerating Son, and that he should actively cooperate with investigators and face proper punishment, according to Yonhap.

Reuters was no able to find contact information for Son’s lawyer.

Officials said last year they had arrested at least 338 people in 12 countries linked to the network, which they described as one of the largest child pornography operations they had encountered.

Called Welcome To Video, the website relied on the bitcoin cryptocurrency to sell access to 250,000 videos depicting child sexual abuse, authorities said, including footage of extremely young children being raped. Its upload page specifically stated, “Do not upload adult porn”.




Son’s 18-month sentence contrasted with several 15-year sentences handed out to other people convicted in the United States in the case, and led to efforts in South Korea to impose stricter laws and tougher penalties for child pornography offences.

ALSO READ | Far from over: Coronavirus pandemic speeding up, worse yet to come, warns WHO

ÄLSO WATCH | Trump blames China for coronavirus pandemic

IndiaToday.in has plenty of useful resources that can help you better understand the coronavirus pandemic and protect yourself. Read our comprehensive guide (with information on how the virus spreads, precautions and symptoms), watch an expert debunk myths, and access our dedicated coronavirus page.
Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from

  • Andriod App
  • IOS App



Source link

Most Popular

Twinkle Khanna tries embroidery after nearly 20 years

Image Source : INSTAGRAM/TWINKLE KHANNA Twinkle Khanna tries embroidery after nearly 20 years Author-producer and former actress Twinkle Khanna recalls...

Amitabh Bachchan says

Image Source : INSTAGRAM/AMITABH BACHCHAN Amitabh Bachchan says he couldn't hold back his tears as Aishwarya and Aaradhya test Covid-19 negative...

Odia actress Deepa Sahu dies at 35 in Bhubaneswar

Image Source : INSTAGRAM/@SABYASACHI_ACTOR Odia actress Deepa Sahu dies at 35 in Bhubaneswar  Odia actress Deepa Sahu died at a...

iPhone SE Available for Rs 37,399 on Flipkart: Check All Details Here

If you’ve been eyeing on the new, compact iPhone SE (2020) now is the right time to buy one. The smartphone is selling...